Sunday 3 August 2014

To Brie or not to Brie

That is the question. It was inspired by two influences: 1) Linnea requested a post about Brie 2) I just learnt that Benedict Cumberbatch will star in a new production of Hamlet next year. And now I’ve been thinking about it, there are definitely some parallels between Shakespeare’s great tragedy and this popular cheese. 

“Soft you now!” Hamlet cries near the end of his famous speech, which perhaps overtly refers to Ophelia. However, I like to think he was referring to the squidgy texture of Brie. And “O! that this too too solid flesh would melt” to me, clearly expresses his desire for a more mature and therefore runny cheese—perfectly understandable. “Fie on’t! ah fie!” sounds suspiciously like it should be “Brie on’t! ah Brie!”

Like Hamlet, I am fond of this rich and creamy cheese. Who isn’t? Its pliable nature goes divinely with a sweet accomplice, namely cranberry jam or redcurrant jelly. I tried Le Rustique’s Brie de caractère, which indeed did have character. Mild with a slightly sour note, not unlike the Kidderton Ash I tried last month, there is something rather comforting about it.




I tried Brie de caractère melted on an oat pancake with redcurrant jelly.

Although this looks like a horrible injury, it tasted yummy.

I also tested one of James Martin’s recipes: figs with Brie and parma ham. Easy to assemble and absolutely delicious. James suggests a modest portion for one: two figs paired with two slices of parma ham, some Brie and redcurrant jelly. I duly scoffed five.

Incidentally, figs were a common Shakespearean theme, often indicating an insult or an unimportant or worthless matter. I find this strange as I have nothing but praise for figs and this understandably prevalent cheese. The answer to my question? Of course it’s to Brie.



No comments:

Post a Comment